Skip to main content

Poker Night

So I really thought about what gives me energy and what takes energy. What takes energy from me is being in the Pastor Jared role. Not that that's really my title at all any more but it used to be and just the fact that I work at the church puts me in that role in the eyes of many of the people that attend Hope.
I feel like there's a real distance that happens socially when people relate to me in that way. It's all about "great song, or great set, or how about those old songs." Which is fine. I mean I know that it's part of the territory but if given an option of being in an environment where I am in that role or just known as myself, Jared, guy who is just trying to be a good husband, dad, responsible citizen and thinking critically about my faith, beliefs and politics, I will always choose the latter.

So in response to this I'm thinking of putting together a group of guys who would be ok with sitting across the card table from me, having some snacks, drinks and maybe a cigar or whatever and getting to know each other. I'm super interested in getting more people out of the bubble that social media creates and interacting with differing ideas and constructs, and living in community with that tension because the relationships matter more than winning and being right.

I really believe that that's what we need more of and so to live that out even in a small way could set up a ripple effect of people comfortable with living outside the bubble and doing more listening and less posting. I know I need that. I really need that. I say I'm good at it, but I'm not really that skilled at it. At least I don't think I am, or maybe I'm too cautious because I'm afraid to communicate to most people because it could get back to the wrong people and jeopardize my standing or at least bring on some tough work conversations that I'm not really prepared to have. Either way, there's some fear happening on my part and I want to figure out how to make that not happen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Blue Like Jazz

I liked the book for the most part. I sort of thought there'd be more speaking from a skeptic's point of view. But a critic of the Christian culture is an important endeavor as well. I thought there were a lot of different assumptions that were made concerning various points of view, and so there were some jumps that a reader such as myself had to make. Seeing as how the book was written in the early 2000's that does make sense. I like his bend toward social justice and he also seems well traveled into the realm of secular thinkers and communicators. It does us a disservice as communicators in this century to be in our faith bubble and think that that's how people should think. It was a little tough reading all his stuff about being single and wondering about marriage and girlfriends ugh.. I know it was his journey but I have a bias, I think, about guys that aren't married. I just think of them as kids. There's an emotional muscle that marriage works that

June 6th and 7th

Got to do some stuff around the house. Bought and put out the flowers for the summer. Sat in the yard and read Blue Like Jazz. Took the boys to soccer.. ya know that usual. It was nice to run some errands with Alissa and just talk about whatever. I guess you could say we got to CONNECT! 

Osh Kosh Gig

Aaron asked me if I wanted to earn $100 playing some music. Turned out to be a pretty fun gig down at a place called Dockside in Osh Kosh. It was an acoustic set so it was the lead guy Chris, Aaron on guitar and cajon, and myself on guitar. I printed out all this music from the set list and literally used it for about 3 songs in a 3 hour set. Chris was all over the place song-wise so I didn't even have time to find the songs in my "book". I ended up just watching Chris's hands to see what chords he was playing and then getting the patterns for the song from there. I sang one tune and should've had more.. Maybe next time. Either way it was a cool gig. Free drinks for the band, and it was right on the water. Perfect night, super laid back. I don't know how often I'd like to do that kind of stuff though. It's quite a bit of driving (Aaron drove this time) and a lot of hours out of the house and so the $100 and a cut of the tip jar doesn't end up