Skip to main content

In Summary. (what I handed in to John)

Looking back over the past 8 weeks I’m really grateful that I had an opportunity to do this. It was refreshing and energizing in both small and significant ways.

The first few weeks I completed small projects around the house that have needed attention for quite some time. It’s nice to enter the house now and not have to think about getting those things done “when I have some time”. I made sure to make time for reading and relaxing as well that first month. I finished the book Blue Like Jazz. Nice read overall. I also got into Tim Keller’s The Reason for God, Bob Goff’s Love Does and a book called The Rest of God which focuses on sabbatical and sabbath.

I also got to spend a good amount of time with my kids. Whether it was watching soccer games, cheering them on, playing in the yard any evening of the week or making pancakes on Sunday mornings I mostly enjoyed it. I mean they always find a way to fight about something which distracts from the amazing memorable moment at hand (sarcasm intended), but that’s normal and I expect it, so it is what it is.

I also visited 3 different churches in the area. They were great and it was nice to see what they are doing. I wish that I could say I just rested in their Sunday morning ministries but I noticed too many things that I liked, didn’t prefer, or wanted to try when I got back. So, while not a super worshipful time, it was quite useful.

The second month was even better. I had a decent rhythm by then of morning walks with Alissa, most of the projects were finished and Quinn, our 2 month old, warmed to me as someone who she could hang out with for more than 2 minutes at a time. I’m still waiting for that 10 minute barrier to be broken.

In early July I visited Pacem In Terris. 45 minutes north of Minneapolis in a wooded area complete with candle lit nights and deer fly infested days I rested in the embrace of silence and an unpopulated to-do list. The Spirit spoke softly through the rustling of leaves, clacking of tree branches and the footsteps of mysterious creatures just outside my window.

I experienced the slowness of a mind cleansed of the imprint of digital pixels. I found myself grateful and nearly gleeful at every breeze. Buggy and muggy as it was in the day, the evenings brought shade, cooler temperatures, decaf coffee and slow deep breaths as I reveled in the technology of a screened-in porch. During the day as I sat in my chair, I recognized that even though I was looking at the same trees and branches for those three days they were never the same.
Every moment, the sunlight was hitting the leaves from a different angle as it moved across the sky and then the next day, the branches had grown, if only a tiny bit, and the earth was nodding and tilting just a bit more away from the summer solstice. Every leaf on every tree experienced the sun in a new way every single day.

The last week or so of July I found I was ready to get back to work. It wasn’t because I was tired of my family even though it can get to a level of chaos that is a guaranteed recipe for insanity. I thought about leading worship and singing and playing with the team, collaborating on and discovering new moments of musical excellence and indescribable worship of God as He often breaks in to what we plan and through His grace allows us to remember that we are blessed to make noise, to be quiet, to sing, to play, to stand, to sit, to breathe.

This is why I do this job. Legacy is not my main concern, all that is headed to dust. Discipleship is slightly interesting to me but too often it just turns into duplication of the discipler which probably misses the point sooner than later. For me, I am a leaf: not long on the tree, so every day of my season must matter. I grow when I am in the sun’s Light and moved effortlessly by the Wind. My hope is to soak up the beauty of God through clear days and stormy ones, giving shade and respite to any who are in need as their journey passes by mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Blue Like Jazz

I liked the book for the most part. I sort of thought there'd be more speaking from a skeptic's point of view. But a critic of the Christian culture is an important endeavor as well. I thought there were a lot of different assumptions that were made concerning various points of view, and so there were some jumps that a reader such as myself had to make. Seeing as how the book was written in the early 2000's that does make sense. I like his bend toward social justice and he also seems well traveled into the realm of secular thinkers and communicators. It does us a disservice as communicators in this century to be in our faith bubble and think that that's how people should think. It was a little tough reading all his stuff about being single and wondering about marriage and girlfriends ugh.. I know it was his journey but I have a bias, I think, about guys that aren't married. I just think of them as kids. There's an emotional muscle that marriage works that

June 6th and 7th

Got to do some stuff around the house. Bought and put out the flowers for the summer. Sat in the yard and read Blue Like Jazz. Took the boys to soccer.. ya know that usual. It was nice to run some errands with Alissa and just talk about whatever. I guess you could say we got to CONNECT! 

Osh Kosh Gig

Aaron asked me if I wanted to earn $100 playing some music. Turned out to be a pretty fun gig down at a place called Dockside in Osh Kosh. It was an acoustic set so it was the lead guy Chris, Aaron on guitar and cajon, and myself on guitar. I printed out all this music from the set list and literally used it for about 3 songs in a 3 hour set. Chris was all over the place song-wise so I didn't even have time to find the songs in my "book". I ended up just watching Chris's hands to see what chords he was playing and then getting the patterns for the song from there. I sang one tune and should've had more.. Maybe next time. Either way it was a cool gig. Free drinks for the band, and it was right on the water. Perfect night, super laid back. I don't know how often I'd like to do that kind of stuff though. It's quite a bit of driving (Aaron drove this time) and a lot of hours out of the house and so the $100 and a cut of the tip jar doesn't end up