Skip to main content

Poker Night

So I really thought about what gives me energy and what takes energy. What takes energy from me is being in the Pastor Jared role. Not that that's really my title at all any more but it used to be and just the fact that I work at the church puts me in that role in the eyes of many of the people that attend Hope.
I feel like there's a real distance that happens socially when people relate to me in that way. It's all about "great song, or great set, or how about those old songs." Which is fine. I mean I know that it's part of the territory but if given an option of being in an environment where I am in that role or just known as myself, Jared, guy who is just trying to be a good husband, dad, responsible citizen and thinking critically about my faith, beliefs and politics, I will always choose the latter.

So in response to this I'm thinking of putting together a group of guys who would be ok with sitting across the card table from me, having some snacks, drinks and maybe a cigar or whatever and getting to know each other. I'm super interested in getting more people out of the bubble that social media creates and interacting with differing ideas and constructs, and living in community with that tension because the relationships matter more than winning and being right.

I really believe that that's what we need more of and so to live that out even in a small way could set up a ripple effect of people comfortable with living outside the bubble and doing more listening and less posting. I know I need that. I really need that. I say I'm good at it, but I'm not really that skilled at it. At least I don't think I am, or maybe I'm too cautious because I'm afraid to communicate to most people because it could get back to the wrong people and jeopardize my standing or at least bring on some tough work conversations that I'm not really prepared to have. Either way, there's some fear happening on my part and I want to figure out how to make that not happen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hanging out with Rainn

Took Rainn over to the soccer fields and just hung out with him for a while. He needs one on one time more than I think he lets on. He sort of gets squished in the middle of everything so it's nice to just see him. He really loves soccer and he's getting really good. In the future I really want to carve out time for him. He's a pretty great guy.

June 12

Well, that was a busy day. Woke up and played basketball. Got home, had breakfast, and started in on tearing out our old shower door and replacing it with a new one. I've never done that before and it was decently fun. Took me most of the day. In the afternoon I took the boys to their soccer camp. Read my book for a while and then ran 6 miles around the soccer field. Took a little less than 12 laps around the property. Got word that River's EEG came back normal, so supposedly his chance of another seizure goes to around 30%. So that was good news. I discovered through watching the boys they need a lot more Jesus in their lives. I'm not super diligent about sharing the characteristics of Jesus with them because I feel like my childhood was mostly religious in nature so I've been trying to avoid that but my kids are selfish, and can be mean and off-putting and its horrifying to me. So I'm going to try to have more talk and dialogue of the nature of Jesus and ho...

Monday, June 4

I got to work out in the afternoon. Then right after school River and I headed out to Milwaukee to check into a hotel. On Tuesday we go to the Children's Hospital to get River Tested. Had a good drive down with River. We had Sushi at a local place in Maquon and he really liked that. He had a Japanese Soda and I had a Japanese beer with our food. We dominated the California Roll part of the menu. After that we went back to the hotel and played Ping Pong down by the pool. Before bed we watched a bit of the Bachelorette. We made fun of the idiots on that show and turned out the lights. I finished a netflix doc on Meditation.